mercredi 6 janvier 2010

Christmas and beyond

Christmas and New Year – Happy New Year by the way - came and went not with a bang but a whimper, the 3 boys have all been packed back off to the UK so Bob and I can take a sigh of relief and spend the next 3 months getting over it all.

My Christmas was spent working so I flitted in and out, which got me very nicely out of cooking the turkey or any meal in fact but of course it did mean missing out on any alcoholic libations. On the upside though I didn’t have time to indulge in many of the chocolates or other sweet goodies that are on offer so readily at this time of the year so my waistline has remained fairly trim – my skirts don’t feel any tighter than normal anyway.

The 3 boys passed their days lying in front of a roaring fire - so roaring at times that it was necessary either to open the windows or strip off - watching TV and seeing how many bottles of wine and beer it was possible to drink before sinking into a drunken coma and missing the last crucial 10 minutes of Journey to the Centre of the Earth. They went to bed way past midnight and got up way past midday which had Bob, I and the clébards pussy footing around attempting to be quiet in case we woke them. Yes I know I can hear you saying ‘Fat chance!’

We've had snow and Siberian temperatures – still in the grips of - since my last offering here. Okay so I'm exaggerating about the temperatures but it has been pretty damn cold all the same. Cold enough for me be wearing a vest AND 4 other layers and doing a good imitation of the Michelin man. Being fashionable when it comes to cold weather just doesn’t enter into it.

My poor little car, the Paxo, this morning became a victim of the snowy weather. We were coming up to the roundabout in Savigné just by Intermarché when off we went sliding out of control. I did everything I could, foot off the brake, turn into the skid but sadly we hit and mounted the kerb of the roundabout with an almighty thump. I was only going about 30kmph too! I managed to reverse off the roundabout and after examining the car I thought all was okay. However it soon became apparent that every time made a turn the front right tyre rubbed against the wheel arch. I made desperate and hasty phone call to Bob for advice who asked me if the wheel was loose. ‘Loose?’ I repeated. ‘Yes give it a push if it wobbles stay put!’ he ordered. I did and reported it wasn’t. Next question. ‘Is it straight?’ Next reply. ‘Straight? In what way straight?’ Well to cut a long story short it was decided I could head back – carefully – as if I was going to do anything but carefully – and he would come out later to have a look. So I’m now stuck at home, me and the Paxo feeling very sorry for ourselves hoping for a miracle, you know the one where it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to repair the damage. I also have a letter to write for my boss, like today, in French and in duplicate, to say I had an accident this morning on the way to work. Lucky me.

Well I’m now going off to root through my cupboards to see if I can find some chocolate – apparently it’s ‘good’ for depression. . .

1 commentaire:

  1. Hi Karin,

    Hope to see a new entry on your blog soon. Know its hard to find the time sometimes and I sent your blog link to my friend Billie and if you want to check her out, here's the link:

    http://www.billiewalter.com/

    I love ya and miss you tons. xoxoxo

    Love Shirley

    RépondreSupprimer